One thing that the pastor said which can never be over-emphasized is that God is enough for us. And sometimes, we do need to take that step of faith and not say that we need Him, and instead say that we have Him...because He is in fact always by our side! Another thing he said that really struck me is that we have to realize that the Promiser is more important than His promises. I'm not sure whether I'm interpreting his message right but to me, I feel that sometimes, I cling too much onto God's promises that He'll carry me through when I can actually be having a deeper relationship with Him if I just focus on Him alone. I guess it's kind of like we should be loving God just for who He is and not for what He can be giving or has given us.
One stumbling block that I have been facing in my spiritual walk is to really let God be the centre of my life. As what the pastor said, Christians can go through the transition from "I" to "me and Christ", to "Christ and I" and finally to "Christ only". I wonder which stage I'm in...it's definitely not "Christ only" but I'll be striving toward that :)
He ended with four points that are a really good reminder to all of us and would really help me along my spiritual journey:
1. to hunger for Christ - to be driven to His word because that's the start of growing to know Him more
2. to empty ourselves for Christ
3. let Jesus fill our lives
4. and to be actively serving God - in that way we can grow to be more like Him and to be a reflection of God's love to others around us
I didn't have a pen with me to scribble all this down...it was only later that I borrowed a pen to write some points down because I really didn't want to forget, knowing how small my memory span is...erm so I might have unintentionally added some points in myself :p
Last point that I want to add is one of my favourite quotes by Marianne Williamson (and which I first heard from the movie Akeelah and the Bee :D). It's a really good reminder to me that there's nothing to worry about since God has given us more than we ever needed and we should definitely be using whatever we have for His glory :)
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our
deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I
to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?
We were born to manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our
own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the
same."
6 comments:
That's one of the best posts I read from the blogs I usually check. Definitely, "God's grace is sufficient for you" (2 Cor. 12:9).
Deepening in our relationship with God, and truly surrendering to Him. I am trying to be saturated by God, and it is a challenge, but having that deep communion with God, it is so good.
sorry about the deleted comment before, wanted to make some amendments.
well said, nothing can be better than communing with God. I've spent 3 months this year doing in- depth bible study and church internship. I was experiencing God and understanding Him more literally every day. Though frustrating or mundane sometimes preparing for the mission trip, doing reports or taking in as much as the speaker is teaching, i have to admit it is an immense privilege to be able to do all these without the distractions of our daily commitments. Even if i get sucked into the demands of life later on, i will always cling on to this refreshing memory. Maybe this is a taste of eternity :) The church internship was especially refreshing as i see people from all kinds of backgrounds and age becoming pastors and full time ministry staff. I think they're cool but often we feel only these people have the special calling. But the rest of us have a calling too: to be fishers of men in our own professions and living environment.
Thanks for your post. Continue to share these wonderful and thought-provoking truths!!!
wow i really like the bit you said about how 'we have to realize that the Promiser is more important than His promises'. how true... it's wonderful to receive promises from God, but not so wonderful when we let them get in the way of our relationship with God.
and i've heard that quote at the end before... very good quote it is (:
and meiping! so nice to hear how your internship was a deeply enriching experience :D yeah i agree about being fishers of men wherever God has placed us. my pastor in spore said that working in the corporate world, you are still in full-time ministry (: what matter's is we're living a life worthy of the calling God has given us (eph 4:1)
thanks for all your comments :) I was told that I should be blogging only for myself but it's been really encouraging to hear such insightful comments from you guys...I'm really learning a lot from all of you too :)
Post a Comment