Friday, July 18, 2008

what i learnt working in the lab =)

Finally done working!!! I'm happy not because I don't have to work from 8-8 anymore BUT because I've gained so much from this experience with God carrying me through it all although I didn’t successfully complete my experiments in the end...
plus I've made so many good friends who've been ever-patient with this extermely clumsy girl who gets easily lost or confused.


Some of my favourite quotes from them:
"hey, 你的头发很乱啊! erm...am I supposed to keep these things to myself?" ~Sirong who has been sooo like a big brother to me =D helping me pick up stuff when I drop them due to my butter fingers, answering all my questions patiently and also willing to discuss his opinions on faith with me and to consider going to my school's christian outreach event =)
"yes Joanna, you've a question? I can sense your presence..." ~Agnes. (ME --> ^^") Agnes has really been so very patient with me and my (sometimes 白痴) questions =) She's always worried that Jeffery, our supervisor is bullying me ("you have to stand up for yourself, ok?")...but even though he might be a littttle bit harsh on me, he's right most of the time =D
examples...
"did you take chemistry or not? did you even pass chemistry???" ~Jeff --- imagine this super fierce-looking supervisor yelling with his arms akimbo at a trembling girl trying frantically to calculate the right volume to be used for the dilution.
another quotable quote…but this time Jeff was in a much better mood =D
“don’t play with the bubbles.” (yes sir! hehe, I was, as Jeff “ordered”, practising my pippetting skills.)
The only thing Jeff ever praised me for was…my cookie bar that I brought for my labmates =) But he does thank me for helping him with some of his experiments (although I might have been causing more trouble =P) besides my fruitcake and the chocolates I brought to work too.
oh wells.
I feels really blessed to have worked with such an intelligent yet ever-humble and helpful bunch of amazing scientists =)

So things I’ve learnt?
- I have a long way to go to reach their standard but I’ll work toward that!
- Being able to think on your feet, keeping track of your time really well so that you can squeeze lunch into your crazy lab schedule
- Being optimistic all the time cos experiments are bound to fail. You might really be working for weeks or even months to discover that you’ve been on a wild-goose chase all this while. For me, He has been a constant strength especially on the days that I feel like I can no longer stand it. (for example, the day when I had a runny nose, sore throat plus headache the whole day yet I still had to stay till 9 pm because there was just so much stuff that had to be done on that day itself).
- Doing research also means giving up a lot of your spare time and going back on weekends because bacteria won’t wait for you to grow or in my case, they REFUSE to grow properly. I remember the Friday two weeks ago when PASSION AC was held. I was supposed to leave my lab latest by 6:30 pm yet I had to stay till 8ish all because of my bacteria. =P
- if you’re sick, just stay at home and quarantine yourself instead of being a walking virus. I unfortunately fell sick on my last week of work and spread my flu to one of my dear labmates. I thought I was being responsible to come to work to finish up my experiments but that was just a big mistake. I ended up feeling so bad the whole day and screwing up my final results…and also feeling so guilty the next day seeing my friend sick because of me =(
- and yup, I am rather distrait and maybe I have a bird-brain after all =P
sometimes, it scares me so bad when I think about how (or people remind me that) doctors can’t afford to make mistakes…I’ll keep praying that God will show me His way and it will be such an honour to be serving Him in whatever, and wherever He has prepared me for =)

No comments: