Sunday, July 25, 2010

pas encore.

The other day, I was trying to explain the term "不再" in the context of the Chinese poem I had written awhile ago. Somehow, I just couldn't translate it to English. But "pas encore" came to mind. I guess that's what happens when you have French grammar drilled into you =P
I finally got it the following day while reading Hebrews 8. "不再" and "pas encore" both express the discontinuation of something from before: "no longer". The familiarity of that phrase started to hit me and I thought it'd be interesting to search for the phrase "no longer" in the bible (NIV) using biblegateway.com, having a few other verses in mind already.
So here's a list of some of them (I found some of my favourite passages too! =)):

Jeremiah 31:33-35

(quoted in Hebrews 8)

33 "This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after that time," declares the LORD.
"I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.

34 No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,'
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,"
declares the LORD.
"For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more."

35 This is what the LORD says,
he who appoints the sun
to shine by day,
who decrees the moon and stars
to shine by night,
who stirs up the sea
so that its waves roar—
the LORD Almighty is his name:

Ezekiel 14:10-12

10 They will bear their guilt—the prophet will be as guilty as the one who consults him. 11 Then the people of Israel will no longer stray from me, nor will they defile themselves anymore with all their sins. They will be my people, and I will be their God, declares the Sovereign LORD.' "

Ezekiel 20:38-40

38 I will purge you of those who revolt and rebel against me. Although I will bring them out of the land where they are living, yet they will not enter the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the LORD.

39 " 'As for you, O house of Israel, this is what the Sovereign LORD says: Go and serve your idols, every one of you! But afterward you will surely listen to me and no longer profane my holy name with your gifts and idols. 40 For on my holy mountain, the high mountain of Israel, declares the Sovereign LORD, there in the land the entire house of Israel will serve me, and there I will accept them. There I will require your offerings and your choice gifts, along with all your holy sacrifices.

Ezekiel 37:22-23

22 I will make them one nation in the land, on the mountains of Israel. There will be one king over all of them and they will never again be two nations or be divided into two kingdoms. 23 and I will cleanse them. They will be my people, and I will be their God. They will no longer defile themselves with their idols and vile images or with any of their offenses, for I will save them from all their sinful backsliding,

Ezekiel 39:6-8

6 I will send fire on Magog and on those who live in safety in the coastlands, and they will know that I am the LORD.

7 " 'I will make known my holy name among my people Israel. I will no longer let my holy name be profaned, and the nations will know that I the LORD am the Holy One in Israel. 8 It is coming! It will surely take place, declares the Sovereign LORD. This is the day I have spoken of.

Ezekiel 39:28-29

28 Then they will know that I am the LORD their God, for though I sent them into exile among the nations, I will gather them to their own land, not leaving any behind. 29 I will no longer hide my face from them, for I will pour out my Spirit on the house of Israel, declares the Sovereign LORD."

... and in the New Testament

John 15:14-16

(Jesus speaking to His disciples...)

14You are my friends if you do what I command. 15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.


Romans 6:5-7

5If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection. 6For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.

Romans 6:8-10

8Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. 10The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.

Romans 12:1-3

1Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. 2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

3For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.

2 Corinthians 5:14-16

14For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.

16So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer.

Galatians 2:19-21

19For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"

Galatians 4:6-8

6Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father." 7So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.

8Formerly, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those who by nature are not gods.

Ephesians 2:18-20

18For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.

19Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household, 20built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.

Ephesians 4:17-18

17So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. 18They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts.

Hebrews 10:17-19

17Then he adds:
"Their sins and lawless acts
I will remember no more." 18And where these have been forgiven, there is no longer any sacrifice for sin. 19Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus...

Revelation 21:1-3

1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.

Revelations 22:3-4

3No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. 4They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads.

...
These bible passages were a lot for me to digest in one sitting... it's so easy to start treating all this as an academic exercise and lose focus. It's not about the verses or bible passages on their own... but seeing through them, the picture they paint as a whole. God's revelation of Himself and what He has done for us - the gospel - to us through His Word is indescribably beautiful and amazing.
I really haven't been treasuring reading His Word as much as I should!
But coming back to the bible passages containing "no longer". For me, the big picture would be the contrast between before and after. And the contrast is indeed astounding. There is nothing that we as Christians can do to change what we were before, objects of wrath, and who we are now, being alive in Christ. But the source behind all this is God... because of His great love and His rich mercy on us.
The reality of the gospel, this amazing grace, ought to consume us in every aspect of our lives. But we so often stop short of saying "no longer" to sin in our lives, or we say it as if it didn't mean a complete and absolute change. Christ paid it all on the cross! (watch ALMOST (saved))
It is a narrow gate. The depth of our sins is overwhelming. But the depth of His love for us is immeasurably greater. So may our sins not wear us down but may we truly repent and find rest in Christ alone. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus as we run this race... that we would no longer live for ourselves but for Him, who died for us and was raised again.
For His glory.

Sin has lost its power, death has lost its sting
From the grave you've risen
VICTORIOUSLY!
Into marvelous light I'm running,
Out of darkness, out of shame.
By the cross You are the truth,
You are the life, You are the way
(Marvelous Light ~Charlie Hall)

9But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for
his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you
out of darkness into his marvelous light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now
you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received
mercy. ~ 1 Peter 2:8-10 (ESV)

No comments: