Saturday, September 6, 2008

Chariots of Fire

I wanted to watch this movie since 3 years ago when my school's chaplain mentioned it in his sharing. My wish was finally granted today and I can't be more thankful for that =)
Here's a movie that follows two young men, who were both Britain's best runners. One ran to win, and the other, to bring glory to God. Eric Liddell, the latter, was a missionary's son who was born in China and he later died in the mission field in China. His life is not only a stunning testimony of his faith to the people of his time, but also to us today. Eric Liddell said
"I believe that God made me for a purpose... (the mission), but He also made me fast, and when I run, I feel His pleasure."
And he truly believed in honouring God no matter what, refusing to run for the qualifying heats for the 100m race at the 1924 Paris Olympics for the simple reason that it was held on a Sunday, the Lord's Day. After spending a few years training just for this race, believing that he'd be honouring God in doing so, it might have seemed so unfair that God had placed an obstacle in his path. But Liddell was only challenged by this and in the end, he ran the 400m race instead. And he won, knowing that he was running for the glory of his King.
Imagining how Eric Liddell must have been running with such happiness on his face, I can't help but desire to have that intimate relationship with God.
One of my favourite scenes was when Eric Liddell preached in the rain to his audience and supporters after one of his races. He shared about his passion for running - it wasn't the exhilaration and joy in being the first one to break the tape because after that, then what? But it was about enjoying the entire race, and in the same way, our lives are a race marked out for us and we have to run with a purpose.
God has a purpose in each and every one of us. Though we might be faced with many trials and tribulations, He will honour those who honour Him, just like how He honoured Eric Liddell. For His grace is more than enough. His faithfulness is more than enough. His love is more than enough. God is more than enough.
So let us run for Him alone, and run with joy in our hearts, cos God's smiling with us too =)

1 comment:

Jo said...

Hi Jo! :) I love those pictures, you and Amanda are so adorable! Like two peas in a pod. Though I suppose you get that a lot from people.

Are you back at school yet? Moved in? Let me know what 2nd year feels like, because you are now no longer frosh! :) Email me sometime... I would email you now, but I have yet to set up my internet (the technician is supposed to come next week) so I am trying to use this free wireless connection with as little delay for long emails (haha you know me!) as possible! It was set up by some Queen's student, and while a good idea, with so many ppl connecting it disconnects me every 5 mins or so... :P