Saturday, June 28, 2008

My God Shelters

Friday night's Love MG was one of the best experiences I had ever since coming back to Singapore and it was more than worth skipping lunch so that I could finish up all my experiments in time =D The service for past and present MG girls brought back so many fond memories that I had in Methodist Girls' School, especially the chapel services =) Praising and worshipping God as a school has always been so good, not because of the great worship team but just for the simple reason of being among those sweet voices lifting up His name together...This time was no different from 3 years back. I could really feel God's presence as we sang songs with such powerful lyrics and praising Him with all our hearts, putting everything else aside to come before Him. Images of how God has carried me through and how His Spirit has moved me so deeply in MG, in AC, in Edmonton, Toronto and Waterloo...came flashing through my mind and simply thinking of God's grace just overwhelmed me. The feeling of being immersed in His ocean of grace is so so good!

This year's theme - My God Shelters - is taken from Psalms 91:1, a verse very familiar to me yet I've never given too much thought to it.
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in
the shadow of the Almighty.


It was such a good reminder from the speaker that yes, God promises to watch over us and give us His protection but we on our part have to surrender ourselves to Him first. It's just like how we have to quieten down our hearts before we can hear His voice. More often than not, we have become so distracted by all the noise in our world that we fail to seek God in the secret. Have we even spent the same amount of time worrying about our lives and trying to seek the comfort and assurance from others as we have waiting for the Lord in silence to hear His voice? I have to confess that I have not. Yet we are reminded in 1 Kings 19 that when God appeared to Elijah after he fleed to Horeb, the mountain of God, He was not in the powerful winds, not in the earthquakes, not in the fire but in a gentle whisper. God is not silent but He is in the silence. He has always been waiting for us...waiting for us to open our hearts to Him, waiting for us to come into His presence, waiting for us to come home running into His arms opened wide.
So let us wait upon the Lord.
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust." ~Psalm 91:2

No comments: