Tuesday, November 9, 2010

give thanks...

Papa sent me some Bible verses to keep in mind, along with "well done" (for once ever since I can remember =P)


- 和 合 本 - 帖前5:16-18

16 要 常 常 喜 樂 ,

17 不 住 地 禱 告 ,

18 凡 事 謝 恩 , 因 為 這 是 神 在 基 督 耶 穌 裡 向 你 們 所 定 的 旨 意 。

- NIV - 1Th5:16-18

16 Be joyful always;

17 pray continually;
18 give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

I actually don't remember the second part of verse 18 that well... but now that I think about it, it gives so much more meaning to this passage.
...
Today is one of those days I feel I really need to keep in my memory.
I spent most of today in the lab, taking pictures of my in situs (as shown below), and making "tadpole steaks", as Mungo my prof calls them - sections of fixed tadpole tissues (in case you're wondering, fixed tissue samples are already dead).



We might have to redo them, but it was good for the first time =)

Next, I rushed to Peds. I caught the iXpress bus to GrandRiver and bumped into Joanna Thongkham =) Always niceee catching up with friends and bumping into friends when you least expect! like Karen and Yuwei the night before... can't believe they both screamed in unison when they saw me =P

But onto a more sobering thought... today's shift at Pediatrics was one of my busiest yet. Packed away toys, wasn't expecting to be too helpful since it was a busy night with lots of parents and visitors around. Tonight though was one of the few times I've ever seen doctors around.
There were at least two young patients with cancer tonight. What would I do if I were the single mum? The wait for the doctors to come must have been painfully long, and for the room to be cleaned up... for the doctors to finally say yes she'll need to stay for closer observation. Run to get soup for daughter, but she refuses to drink it though she's hungry. Rush to get a babysitter to take over since the volunteer is leaving at 8. Rush to go home to pick up stuff for the extended stay.
But those must have been nothing compared to seeing the pain on her daughter's face, wishing she was the one instead.
I think I've never thought of it from the parent's perspective so far...

I wish... I could go back tomorrow and share the gospel with them. I've been thinking but I don't know whether sometimes I'm just carried away by my own emotions and impulsiveness and I don't feel led by the Spirit. Yet it is the only true way I can show love. Then again, how about all those people around me? Am I not just closing my eyes, numbing my heart to their pain, to hear their cries? How desperately we all need to turn back to Him!

Through the deepest possible pain, will we be able to say "God is enough?

25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73:25-26

And that's why we can give thanks and rejoice for we have such inexpressible joy, peace like a river, in Him... and may He be glorified!

ooh, thoughts still racing through my mind. I really should pray, pray and pray...

No comments: