What else can I do but worship...
I was just thinking of this during my devos and found this beautiful version of it on youtube...AND stumbled on this amazing blog (from the side info of the youtube).
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Your love makes me sing
~ was volunteering at the Senior's Daycare Program which makes me so happy =D so much fun hanging out with these seniors - anything from jamming some really (reallllllly) old school songs way (wayyyyyy) before my time with a super-duper cool guitarist (last week was You Are My Sunshine cos that was the only one I knew, and this week was Four strong winds...no clue, supposedly a big Canadian hit at that time =P)...dancing-ish with them cos they're cool that way, playing games (though I think they really should learn mj =P) etc.
And they always give me a much louder applause than I really deserve. But it's all about making them happy so I'll keep bringing my violin =) I really am so blessed that something that I wouldn't think too much of - my subpar violin-ing, or making roses from tissue paper, a simple smile, or lending a listening ear - will bring others a =) too!
The staff was telling me whether I'd want to think about social work. I personally love it =) Perhaps I am naive that way (as Joses made it clear by trying to explain starcraft to me in candyland terms =P oh wells). I once thought about just going into nursing if I didn't make it to med school...I don't know. At this point though, volunteering to me is not without intrinsic motives...I need it on my resume and for reference letters -_- A parent at the Pediatrics unit once asked me, so are you volunteering out of the goodness of your heart?
No.
To be honest, it really is mutually beneficial.
But in any case,
Lord, prepare me to be a sanctuary
Pure and holy, tried and true
With thanksgiving, I'll be a living
Sanctuary for You
...that whatever I do will only be to glorify Him and not myself in any way, not to desire any praises from others and feel good about it, but to be humble like Him.
Looking forward to playing Amazing Grace next week =)
yup His Amazing Grace...
2 comments:
i've thought about this... the idea of 'no such thing as a completely selfless good deed' (haha was on an episode of Friends once)...
i don't think we should always look at it from the mentality of... 'do i get something out of it'? because... most things, whether we choose for it to or not, come with a reward. Being rewarded for doing charity work with praise and recognition... Getting paid to do a job you'd love etc. etc.
but in the end it's - would you still do it, even if it didn't come with all these great tags. If one day, you showed up to the nursing home and they didn't applaud you... or what if you couldn't put it on your resume - would you still do it?
i think the fact that you love doing it because of the joy it brings to others is much more important than the fact that there is an intrinsic reward attached to it.
thanks jo =)
There are those times at the hospital when I'm just walking up and down corridors and some of the nurses seem like they would rather not have me around...those times, I really feel, what am I doing here? Is it worth coming all the way here when there's so little I can do?
It’s the sense of helplessness – wanting to do something from my own ability but not being able to. But I hear the small voice and stop myself from all that silly thinking =P. And what you said too, that it’s really not about what I can get out of this; I can’t be trying to quantify the worth. Reminded that there’s really nothing I can do on my own, nothing I can do out of my weaknesses.
One of the passage that comes to mind were the verses quoted by Pastor Lew at Simply Church…Romans 11:33-36, giving the context to Romans 12:1-2 =)
It’s a great reminder.
Like many others, I am driven by people, and making others happy…but ultimately, the purpose of it all is to glorify God =)
thanks again!
Post a Comment