Friday, May 15, 2009

talking to people =)

I've been told countless times all of my life to speak up. I guess I don't mind so much talking one-on-one to people or in smaller groups but speaking in front of large groups just makes me nervous and is definitely something I'll be working on and trusting Him with.

I have been really blessed to have lived/travelled/experienced life in different parts of the world and constantly meeting with new friends. This coming from the socially awkward me. But sometimes, it's about putting yourself out there and at this point, I have to mention Bily's reallllly insightful and inspiring blog post http://bilyxiao.com/2009/02/a-strangers-just-a-friend-you-havent-met-pt-2/ =) I have been blessed with such experiences here and there but never really thought too much until about them until recently, when I had a really interesting and insightful conversation with a new friend on a greyhound bus ride from Waterloo to Toronto.

I originally just wanted to provide him some directions since it was his first time taking greyhound and ttc with my limited command of mandarin (which I have to say, he didn't understand at first cos I was still in my canto mode). But I guess our conversation just branched off and we talked for the rest of the trip when I thankfully adjusted to my mando mode =P So we got to talk about everything from travelling (he's been to almost all the provinces of China!!!), culture differences, appreciation of the Chinese culture, my plans for the future, his plans for his son back in China etc. I haven't had such a good chat for the longest time! And I was reminded of God's calling for me when I was asked about my career choice. I felt a little ashamed that I haven't been thinking too much and had lost focus last term. But when I was asked why I wanted to be a paediatrician, I knew the answer from the bottom of my heart - to serve God and His people. So that's what I told him. I must have sounded really naive to him but he did start questioning me more about my faith and I was able to share a bit with him (though I wish I shared a little more) And it was great hearing from him that there's a Chinese professor in Waterloo who invited my friend and some others to listen to the gospel at someone's house =)
One thing though that really stuck with me was a comment he made when we were discussing about the character of an individual (after he asked me about my parents' profession and I think I was asking him whether the kids now in China, are generally more pampered, since I've been hearing stuff like the "me" generation):
在孩子的身上可以看見父母的影子。
(you can see the reflection of the parents in their children)
Interesting. What comes to my mind as I'm reflecting upon this is whether we are living as the children of light that we're called to be - do they see Jesus in us?
~ To be holy, just as He is holy. To love like He loves us.
Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. Ephesians 5:1-2

1 comment:

Jac said...

hey jo! I was meaning to leave a comment earlier =) I agree with you about speaking in front of large groups ><. I remember you shared about your greyhound experience to me, but it's such a great reminder for me to trust God and step out of my comfort zone.

Jac

oh and I'm gonna start on part 3 of the series today =)