What does one say to someone who's dying soon from a terminal illness? How can one keep smiling while talking to them?
What does one say to a kid suffering from cancer?
It breaks my heart.
But at the same time, I admire them so much for their love of life. To be clinging on to every second, to try their best to fulfill their dreams. And here I am, at times complaining about the workload that I have, the watch/earring I lost...
Volunteering at the Pediatrics Unit really does give me a whole new perspective to life. Taking the bus and walking home alone from the hospital (a good 1 hour) allowed me to have a good time reflecting about this gift of life that God has given us.
How often do we really live with eternity in mind? Are we really cherishing each moment that we have to glorify Him and seek Him?
I confess that I am so often distracted by things around me. But tonight, God was drawing me near to Him. I was spending time with a patient, who is younger than me and who only has a few months left. All I could do was spending time quizzing him on G1 (cos he wants to learn to drive, he wants to drive a pickup truck) and asking him to show me his favourite video game - Command & Conquer - and watching him play...I really want to ask him how he feels, but that is something that I am prohibited from asking as a volunteer. I regret I didn't tell him what I think of him - that he is a really brave kid. And I really hope and pray that he and his family will keep trusting God no matter what happens, that we have the hope in Him alone.
Volunteering at the hospital is really slow at times, and I sometimes feel that it's pointless to be just walking up and down the corridors, pretending to be kept busy tidying up the books and toys. But it's those precious moments that I spend with these kids, sometimes it goes on way after my shift ends and I don't even realize it...these are the moments that I am there for. That God had put me there for and I thank Him so much for that.
Living a life of love with eternity in mind...
2 comments:
=)
jo, don't hold back. tell him =)
Post a Comment