"What would you do if you know of innocent people being chased out of their homes, fighting for their lives in unspeakable conditions? Think of them as your sisters and brothers...what would you do?"
~ from a documentary about the genocide in Darfur
No matter where we're coming from, the only right and justifiable answer is to step in to protect them and at least, offer a helping hand to these people. But no, we're not doing anything...how can we turn a blind eye?
I was thinking about this while doing the walk for Darfur. Each step was supposed to represent 6 people who have been killed but somehow, with the wonderful weather and lovely breeze, death and misery seemed really far away. It's only when I see the faces of Darfurians, especially the empty look on the kids' faces that I feel more compelled to care. It's only when I hear speakers breaking down while relating their personal experiences in Darfur, or in genocides in other parts of the world that I feel an urge to help in any way possible.
And I'd start thinking, "This is unreal (quote from my favourite social studies teacher)! Why don't we even care? Why is the world so unfair? How can God let this happen?"
I guess for the first 3 questions, we all should have the answer...as humans, we just tend to look out for ourselves more. It's as simple as that. And it just seems too far away, why should we even bother when it doesn't concern us? But when we think carefully, this is the matter of life and death...innocent people are being killed and we're not doing anything to stop it. If these were our family or even our fellow countrymen, wouldn't we step in to protect them immediately? Who are we to judge which individual has more of a right to live?
As global citizens, we should have this social responsibility to take action but I feel that as Christians, we should care even more for these people in need - in need of our love and concern, and most importantly, in need of God's love for them and the hope they can have in Him.
As for my last question, I'm not sure myself...all I can say is that I guess God never wanted this to happen but men created misery for themselves in a bid for power, wealth, fame to satisfy their endless hunger for something that they feel might make them happier and superior to the rest. But of course, we can never find anything that's of worth unless we're seeking for God and His will. Anyhow, so many innocent people get involved and they have done nothing to deserve the suffering they're going through while we have done nothing to deserve the wealth and blessings that we have upon us. And to even be able to know God! I'm really thankful for His grace but I don't think I'll be able to figure out why some of us are so much more blessed than others...
quote from The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
“Papa, what is it like to die?”
“Corrie,” he began
gently, “when you and I go to Amsterdam – when do I give you your ticket?”
I
sniffed a few times, considering this.
“Why, just before we get on the
train.”
“Exactly. And our wise Father in heaven knows when we’re going to
need things, too. Don’t run out ahead of Him, Corrie. When the time comes that
some of us will have to die, you will look into your heart and find the strength
you need – just in time.”
...oh wells, I'll find out someday, in His time =)
No comments:
Post a Comment