Tuesday, January 13, 2009

draw near

At the end of the Christmas break, after things started to slow down a bit, I started on the book Walking with God by John Eldredge and so far, it's been such a good read and I've been reminded about so many things that I often don't notice. I was preparing to share some of my thoughts on spiritual growth and thoughts from the book too last Friday (I thought it would be the same sharing circle thing so I attempted to prepare beforehand in case I freak out :P) so here goes (the modified & expanded version)...

Spiritual growth
I've been really blessed to be in Waterloo and really thankful for all my brothers and sisters who have in some way or another, shown me encouragement when I most needed it and have also inspired through their passion for God and challenged me in my spiritual walk, to go deeper.
What I've come to realize over the past few years is how much I desire to have an intimacy with God and that He too seeks intimacy with us.
The LORD is with you when you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you. (2 Chronicles 15:2)
I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the LORD. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart. (Jeremiah 24:7)
This is what the LORD Almighty says: "Return to me," declares the LORD Almighty, "and I will return to you," says the LORD Almighty. (Zechariah 1:3)
Come near to God and he will come near to you. (James 4:8)
Let us draw near to God. (Hebrews 10:22)
We have such a blessed assurance and comfort in these verses, and in John 17:3, when Jesus says that eternal life is to know God, he makes it clear that intimacy with God is the purpose of our lives. And one of the key elements of this is having a conversational intimacy, that means prayer.
I always knew prayer to be a two-sided conversation but yet, I used to just do it the one-sided way. Just presenting my request or thanksgiving and not really waiting to hear Him. And when I started to realize how much I want to hear His voice, I waited...but it was just silence in the beginning. So I'd turn to the Scripture. I was reading Psalms, Jeremiah, Isaiah... last year and I was always moved by how intimate the conversations between the psalmist/prophets were with the Lord...that they would cry out to Him and He would answer them. It was just beautiful. And that led me to long even more to hear His voice - the gentle loving whisper.
It's been an amazing journey so far, there have been real struggles but I know He's always there waiting for me, to quieten down my heart, to slow down to listen to Him.
And I've learnt that we don't have to talk to Him just about the big decisions we have to make in life or our major trials, but just everyday occurences...like when I'm waiting for the bus to school, praising Him for the beautiful autumn coloured-leaves being swept by the wind or now, the beautiful snow-frosted trees, or bumping into a friend randomly on campus which always brings a smile on my face and thanking God for that...or even studying, being amazed by the stuff that we learn in school (like embryology!!! when I'm awake in class that is :P), or during orchestra rehearsals...anything, anywhere making sure I'm keeping in step with the Spirit because God is not just part of our lives, but He is our all. At this point, I'm reminded of Jorge's analogy that he shared last term about the "wireless connection" that we have with God :P yup, it's amazing :)
I'm kind of impatient person with phones, I don't really like long-winded conversations (though I do that with emails :P) on the phone so I used to not want to call home because I assumed my parents know me well, I know them well, and we can always talk next time. But that is such a wrong assumption. It really takes time and it takes conversation for a relationship. I call home more often now and I always feel so much happier after that. Same with prayers :) And about leaving it to later, it's always not a good idea because it is right then that the Spirit of God is convicting you to do something, eg. pray for a friend or give that encouraging word/pray with him/her which is just what he/she might be needing at that moment...or an opportunity to share the good news with someone, or just discovering something new about God's amazing grace at that moment if we stop to listen.
The worship songs last Friday really brought me back to that place I've been desiring to be, to simply come before God and to surrender everything else - I want to know You.
It's not about my abilities or not about how much I can do to serve Him (as I was reminded once again by Jorge's timely sharing in his email :)) but that we just let God take over our lives and simply follow Him. :)

Who has ever given to God,
that God should repay him?
For from him and through him and to him are all things.
~Romans 11:35-36

In the end, I'd much rather have God. - John Eldredge, Walking with God

4 comments:

Elena said...

hey jo :)

I don't think i really realized it till now that I really like reading what you write. I'm very much encouraged by your desire to wait upon the Lord listen to Him. In the depths of my heart I do wish for these same things myself and I love how you are able to write it out so descriptively and genuinely. There is an incredible amount of sincerity when you write that it touches my heart, as cheesy as that sounds :P

so I guess I really wanted to say, thanks for sharing =)

Unknown said...

Prayer is SOO amazing :). It's just so cool that God wants to hear EVERYTHING from us, whether complaint or thanks, anger or praise, He wants us to be honest with Him and tell anything to Him!
It's something I've really been learning to do the past months. You know, like you said, just talking to God anywhere, anytime, no matter the circumstance. Maybe I'm just walking home and appreciating what God has done, the beauty of His creation, just praise Him right there and then while walking. Yeah, its just really cool that we can say anything to God anytime anywhere.

Something I've been missing too is the waiting on God part too. It's so easy to make prayer a one-sided thing. That's something I've realized a lot the past few days. Having quiet time to wait on God is key! I really haven't been doing that, and it's something I am working on.

Wow, God is amazing haha. Thanks for sharing!!

PS I want to borrow the books still :)

Jorge said...

as Elena said, I agree that it is very encouraging and edifying reading your posts as your express very well the struggles and victories of your walk with God.

God is just too cool... always searching and pursuing us... and that is an essential part of the gospel =)

ps, can't believe that you actually remembered my analogy, HAHA.

joanna =) said...

hey :)
elena: thanks! the reason why i want to share is simply because i was encouraged by all of you in the first place and it's sometimes easier to share my joys/struggles with the rest of you through blogging (knowing how incoherent i might be when i speak esp in large groups :P)...but hopefully i'll be able to do that soon someday :)
james: yup...i love your enthusiasm and passion...and it really does rub off to us upper years who might be getting somewhat old :P
jorge: thanks! abt remembering your analogies, just proves that they're awesome :D